Hotel Krämerbrüce Erfurt

Hotel Krämerbrüce Erfurt

Booking Online

History

Home The HotelHistory

Who was planning on popping in into a cozy inn in the center of Medieval Erfurt probably had the same goal as our guests nowadays: the restaurant “Zum alten Schwan”. The historic building was converted into a first-class hotel with a welcoming and refined design. In 1310, the restaurant “Zum Alten Schwan” was first mentioned as a loading yard, where merchants left and stored their vehicles. The building is one of Erfurt's oldest secular buildings and was probably built as the community center "Güldener Strauß" in the 15th century. The building was remodeled during the Renaissance, where the windows were already slightly enlarged and the entrance was built. The facade, however, remained almost unchanged since the middle Ages. Here and there, one may stumble on a big name in the guest books of the restaurant. And so we find that the renowned 16th century poet Schumacher Hans Sachs stopped by the inn. In the years 1769 to 1772, Christoph Martin Wieland, author of the Enlightenment and a pioneer of German classicism, lived in the restaurant. During this period he was a professor at the university and was known as a tutor of the princes of the dukes of Weimar. In the restaurant, he wrote his burlesque poems "The new Adamis” and the oriental humanistic enlightenment novel" The Golden Mirror or The Kings of Scheschian”. Wieland received a professorship at the University of Weimar for his socially critical work. In 1965, the restaurant was completely refurbished and decorated in style of a quaint wine restaurant. In the days until the closing of the popular HO-restaurant in 1990 it was always difficult to get one of the 67 places. "Not even with tip", as we know to report. In 1995 the building was remodeled in close coordination with the Erfurt Preservation Office and supplemented by a new extension. That same year, the first and only hotel opened next to the Merchants' Bridge, where even the hotel's own restaurant “Zum Alten Schwan” shines in new splendor. The famous Krämerbrücke can be found directly next to the Hotel Krämrbrücke. As the Ponte Vecchio in Florence, the Krämerbrücke bears a series of timbered houses on each side, the only structure of its kind north to the Alps. In 1117, the Merchants' Bridge was first mentioned after it had just been burned down. With five strong sandstone arches, the bridge connects the shores divided by the river arms of Gera since 1325. Dating from 1460, the Red Tower is one of the oldest buildings on the Merchants' Bride.
This website uses COOKIES.

By browsing it you accept our cookies policy, according to your browser settings. Read more about Privacy Policy

OK, close